Micro bevel flooring is a popular choice for homeowners seeking a sleek and contemporary look for their interior spaces. This type of flooring features a subtle beveled edge that adds depth and dimension to each individual plank. In this informative guide, we will explore micro bevel flooring in detail, discussing its characteristics, installation process, maintenance requirements, and benefits.
What is Micro Bevel Flooring?
Micro bevel floor, also known as eased edge or mini bevel flooring, refers to hardwood or laminate flooring with a slightly beveled edge along the length of each plank. Unlike traditional square-edged flooring, micro bevel floor features a small, angled groove that runs along the joint between adjacent planks. The beveled edge creates a subtle distinction between each plank, enhancing the overall visual appeal of the floor.
The installation process for micro bevel flooring is similar to that of traditional flooring. Here are the general steps involved:
- Preparation: Ensure that the subfloor is clean, dry, and level. Remove any existing flooring and address any necessary repairs or adjustments.
- Acclimation: Allow the flooring planks to acclimate to the room’s temperature and humidity for the recommended time as specified by the manufacturer. This helps prevent potential issues such as warping or shrinking after installation.
- Underlayment: Install an appropriate underlayment over the subfloor to provide moisture protection, sound insulation, and a smoother surface for the flooring installation. Follow the manufacturer’s instructions for the specific type of underlayment being used.
- Layout and Cutting: Plan the layout of the flooring, taking into consideration the dimensions and shape of the room. Begin installation from one corner, ensuring that the micro bevel edges are facing outward for a consistent look. Cut the planks as needed to fit around obstructions, using a saw or other appropriate cutting tools.
- Installation: Install the flooring planks by aligning the tongue and groove joints, applying gentle pressure to secure them together. Use a tapping block and mallet to ensure tight, flush connections. Continue installing the planks row by row, maintaining the desired pattern or layout.
- Finishing: Install the final row of flooring, leaving an appropriate expansion gap along the walls. Install any necessary transition pieces or moldings to complete the installation and provide a clean and finished appearance.
Maintenance and Care
Micro bevel flooring is relatively easy to maintain and care for. Here are some important tips:
- Regular Cleaning: Sweep or vacuum the floor regularly to remove dust, dirt, and debris. Use a damp mop or microfiber cloth lightly moistened with a recommended cleaner specifically designed for the flooring type.
- Spills and Stains: Clean up spills promptly to prevent potential damage. Blot liquids with a clean, absorbent cloth, and gently clean stains with a recommended flooring cleaner or a mild solution of water and vinegar.
- Protection: Place protective pads under furniture legs to prevent scratches or indentations. Use doormats at entryways to trap dirt and moisture, and avoid walking on the floor with shoes that may have sharp or abrasive soles.
- Avoid Excess Moisture: Micro bevel floor is not suitable for areas with high moisture, such as bathrooms or basements. Avoid excessive exposure to water or moisture, as it can cause the planks to warp or swell.
Benefits of Micro Bevel Flooring
Micro bevel floor offers several advantages:
- Aesthetic Appeal: The beveled edge of micro bevel flooring adds visual interest and depth, giving the floor a modern and sophisticated look.
- Conceals Imperfections: The slight bevel helps to camouflage minor irregularities in the subfloor or slight variations in plank height, creating a more seamless appearance.
- Easy Installation: Micro bevel floor can be installed using traditional methods, making it accessible for both DIY enthusiasts and professional installers.
- Versatility: Micro bevel flooring is available in a wide range of materials, styles, colors, and finishes, allowing for versatile design options to suit various interior aesthetics.
- Durability: Whether in hardwood or laminate form, micro bevel flooring is designed to withstand regular foot traffic and provide long-lasting durability.
Micro bevel flooring offers a contemporary and visually appealing option for homeowners looking to enhance their interior spaces. With its subtle beveled edge, this flooring choice adds dimension and sophistication to any room. By following the installation process and adopting proper maintenance practices, you can enjoy the benefits of micro bevel floor for years to come. Consider this flooring option when seeking a stylish and durable solution for your home.