It’s the middle of the night, and you are fast asleep when you hear a loud gurgling from your bathroom. You know what that means — a clogged toilet! This is every homeowner’s worst nightmare, but don’t despair. With the right steps, you can fix the issue without having to call a clogged toilet service. Here are the nine do’s and don’ts of dealing with a clogged toilet:
- Check the blockage – First, you’ll want to peek inside and see what kind of clog you’re dealing with. Your toilet may be clogged due to a large amount of paper towels or an object accidentally dropped in the bowl. It’s important to identify the cause of the problem before you begin unclogging it.
- Try a plunger – If an object causes the blockage, a plunger can help clear it quickly and easily. Use a cup-style plunger instead of a flange plunger for best results. You can also use an auger if the clog is more stubborn.
- Use a baking soda and vinegar mixture – This is one of the best DIY solutions for clogged toilets. Mix together equal parts baking soda and white vinegar, then pour it into the bowl and leave it overnight to allow the mixture to dissolve the clog.
- Try using hot water – Boil some water in a pot and slowly pour it into the bowl. The heat will help to break down any blockages in the pipes, making it easier for them to clear. Be careful not to splash yourself with hot water!
- Call a professional – If none of these DIY methods work, you may need to call a plumber or clogged toilet service for assistance. A professional will be able to identify the source of the clog quickly and get your toilet back up and running in no time.
- Don’t flush multiple times in a row – This will only make the clog worse, as it will push more debris down into the pipes. Try to flush only once and see if that helps before attempting any further action.
- Don’t ignore a recurring clog – If you are experiencing frequent clogs in your toilet, there may be an underlying issue that must be addressed. It is best to call a professional for help as soon as you can.
- Don’t use too much force – While it may be tempting to use brute force when dealing with a stubborn clog, this could lead to more damage in the long run. Take your time and try using some of the above methods first before resorting to any drastic measures.
- Don’t use chemical drain cleaners – These products can cause serious damage to your pipes, which could lead to expensive repairs down the line. Not to mention, they are terrible for the environment.
With these tips, you can unclog your toilet quickly and without hassle. But remember, if the issue persists or becomes too difficult to handle on your own, then it’s best to call a professional for help. They will have the right tools and expertise to do the job quickly and safely. Call a clogged toilet service today to get your home back up and running quickly!